We had our committee meeting last night and shared some of the interesting results of the recent survey. Whilst not everybody on the estate contributed, there were enough surveys returned to draw some conclusions.
Firstly that whilst there are some families resident on North Millers Dale the majority of people living here are couples aged over forty. This is quite different from the findings of the 1997 survey. We concluded this was probably due to two things: the very high prices of Millers Dale houses and that many people who moved here twenty or more years ago like it so much they have never felt the need to move.
Traffic issues as in ’97 are still high on the agenda but now ‘hedges’ and ‘rats’ are even higher.
As for things you would be interested in taking part in if the NMDCA organised them: Guest speakers, local walks and cheese and wine evenings proved to be popular choices.
If you haven’t yet and would still like to do the survey go to https://nmdca.wordpress.com/2017/10/04/new-survey-for-2017/
We were pleased to see some residents had added some of their own ideas into the ‘others’ sections in both the issues and events. I have added these below exactly as they were on the forms.
• Inconsiderate parking – restricting access – often by delivery, removal and tradesman vehicles.
• Overgrown trees on the green near the Pub overgrown onto the road. Unclear who should be looking after these trees. Looking unsafe in high winds – possible damage to houses.
• Multiple car households who use the visitor lay-bys as their own personal parking spaces
• Traffic speed on NMD as a rat run.
• 1. Traffic = danger from speeding cars past Weavers Place / NMDale junction and crossing by Flexford Nature Reserve
• 2. Litter – in Nature reserve (drinks containers, empty sweets packets) presumed mainly dropped by children / young people. Action – notices at entrance points “Protect wildlife – take your litter home and bin it, please!” Also local schools to ensure message conveyed to pupils linked to suitable topic related lessons at least annually.
• Rubbish in the nature reserve – I do a collection now and again.
• Reinstatement of gritbin in NMD opposite Cranford Gardens
• Cobbles at the NMD end of Lauston Drive
• Cold Callers
• Vehicles on the verges
• Get to know everyone on the Estate.
• Daytime activities for retired residents
• Local walks – nature reserve, etc.
• Art/Painting/Drawing club/group, keep fit!
• Christmas Event
• Events on our green (Farmhouse)